Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2016

Low Carb Korma

That's Korma with an O not Karma with an A sisters!

Well, thank you Nicola!

Last night one of the members of a Keto Facebook group asked if anyone had a good low carb version of Korma. I had no idea what it was but I love a challenge, so I looked it up. Turns out this tasty little gem of a chicken curry is already pretty Keto friendly. I looked up a few recipes and tweaked them to my liking. The one I followed closest was from www.dairygoodness.ca/recipes/chicken-korma I used tomato sauce instead of paste and only half an onion (100 grams) in order to cut back on the carbs a little. I also did not have any fresh coriander for the garnish so you'll have to forgive me for the bland picture but I assure you, the dish was anything but bland! I added fenugreek seed to the spices because I didn't have leaves.
Eh! So I improvised a little, it turned out delicious! I think I will add a little more heat next time, maybe some cumin.

Low Carb Korma

Low Carb Korma 
Recipe

635 grams of raw chicken breast meat cut into large cubes 
2 Tablespoons butter
100 grams diced onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed
2 Tablespoons ground almonds
2 Tablespoons Tomato sauce
1 Cup Greek style yogurt
Fresh Coriander and Fenugreek leaves for garnish (Optional)

Melt the butter in a deep non stick pan. I used my wok.
Sauté the onions in the butter on medium heat until they soften. 
Add the garlic, ginger, child powder, turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander and fenugreek seed. 
Cook for a few minutes until the aroma rises from the pan.
Stir in the ground almonds and the tomato sauce.
Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides and juices run clear. 
Toss frequently so it does not stick.
Stir in the yogurt and cover. Heat through thoroughly.

Makes 6 servings of approximately 7 carbs each.
I served it with a side of caulk-rice.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment