Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2016

Low Carb Nanaimo Squares

Every Christmas I make platters of home made treats for my friends and family, the local businesses we buy from and a few of our customers. It has become a tradition that they all look forward to. Nothing low carb about these treats but this year I have dabbled a bit with some of my recipes so that I can enjoy a few of my favourites and perhaps encourage others to cut down on their sugar.
Today I made 2 batches of Nanaimo Squares for my platters and then I made a low carb version just to see how they would turn out. I have to admit they they are bloody awesome!
My inspiration comes from my baking and cooking groups. I just love the people I interact with on these groups and I would be disappointed to lose touch with them. One of my favourite groups fell apart this week when the administrators who had been running the show since the second week of inception got blocked by the original creator when she decided to take back her group which had grow to well over 20,000 members thanks to the educated and dedicated admin team who had held the reins for the past year.  Nobody had seen or heard from the original creator since she had abandoned her group a year ago. I didn't even know she existed. I suppose she thought she would take over now that the hard work was done and maybe make a name for herself off the backs of other. I left the group. The brains were gone so I didn't see any point in sticking around.
Thankfully the great team of admins which I had grown to trust and admire have formed another group called Keto 2nd Breakfast - and all the other meals!! Come join this creative and supportive group, you won't regret it.
Today's Ketofied recipe is dedicated to these hard working individuals. Thanks to them I have learnt a safe and healthy way of following the Ketogenic way of life.

Low Carb Nanaimo Squares

Low Carb Nanaimo Squares
Recipe
Base
1/2 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup sweetener ( I used Truvia, the one in the little pot so I used 1/8 Cup since it is concentrated)
4 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
1 Egg
2 Cups Almond flour
1 Cup chopped walnuts
1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla
Melt the butter, sugar and cocoa together until smooth. Beat in the egg and add remaining ingredients until well combined. Remove from heat and cool slightly and press into bottom of 8x8 inch parchment lined pan.


Filling
2 Cups Swerve Confectioners sugar
1/4 Cup of soft butter
1/8 Cup Bird's custard powder
4-5 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
Mix together the first 3 ingredients until butter is well distributed. Add heavy whipping cream, one tablespoon at a time until the mixture forms a creamy consistency that can be spread, like a thick icing.
Spread evenly on top of the base in the 8x8 pan. Set aside for about 20 minutes

Topping
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Lilly's milk chocolate bars
Break the chocolate into small pieces. Melt butter in a small sauce pan over a medium low heat. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate. Return to heat if necessary until the chocolate is completely melted and a smooth consistency.
Pour the topping over the custard and spread evenly.

Cool in refrigerator until chocolate has almost hardened. 
Cut into 36 squares.
Each square has approximately 1.7 net carbs. I do not count sugar alcohols.
Enjoy!

© 2016-2017 Diane rolfe ALL RIGHTS RESERVED



6 comments:

  1. No baking at all, just melting and mixing on top of the range?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is Bird's custard powder and where do you get it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Barbara. Custard powder, either Bird's brand or Horne's brand can be found in your local grocery store in the baking section where the sugar and flour is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made these for Christmas 2019 and they were a hit! Even the non keto family liked them.

    ReplyDelete