Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Low Carb Chicken Marsala

I am very excited to be planning a trip to Las Vegas to run a half marathon with my running buddies Ruth and Manon. I have wanted to visit Vegas, but I am not a gambler. There is so much more to do than gamble in Vegas. We are planning on taking a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon which I have not seen since I was 5. My father was stationed in Colorado with the Royal Canadian Airforce when I was young. I lived there for 5 years, returning to Canada in time to start grade 1. While we lived in Colorado our parents took us on several adventures during the summer vacation; The Grand Canyon being the most memorable for me. I am also excited about the half marathon as it will be my first half. Ruth assures me that it a good race for a first half since it is down hill so I can just lay down and roll if my legs give out. lol She is so funny!
Anyhow......that's not why we are here, is it?
Tonight I am making one of my long time favourite recipes which I have Ketofied. It is a Chicken Marsala but I bread the chicken. I had to modify the breading to make it more Keto friendly. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do.

Low carb Chicken Marsala

Low Carb Chicken Marsala
Recipe
Chicken
4x 5 ounce chicken breasts, flattened
1/4 Cup Psyllium husk powder
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon water
2 Tablespoon avocado oil, more if needed for frying.

Prepare the chicken, slicing into thin pieces and pounding with a meat tenderizer if necessary.
Mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
Add water to egg and beat until well mixed.
Heat oil in frying pan. Dip each piece of chicken in Psyllium mixture, then in egg and back in Psyllium ensuring that it is well covered.
Fry a few pieces at a time in the pan, adding more oil if needed.
Set cooked chicken aside, keeping warm in oven.
Remove any excess oil from pan but try to leave the bits left from the breading in the pan.
Sauce
2 Tablespoons butter
8 ounces of fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 Cup Marsala wine
1 1/2 Cups beef broth (I mix 1 1/2 Tablespoons liquid beef Bovril with 1 1/2 cups of hot water)
Guar gum for thickening sauce 
Melt the butter in the same pan you used to fry the chicken.
Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender.
Add the wine and simmer for about 1 minute to burn off the alcohol.
Add the broth and simmer for about 15 minutes until reduced 
You can add a little guar gum to the sauce to thicken.
Remove chicken from oven, plate and top with the Sauce.

Serves 4 for approximately 4 net carbs per serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment