Search This Blog

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Coconut Flour Chocolate Zucchini Bread

It is no secret that I love to bake. I am definitely my mother's daughter in that sense. My mother was the most amazing cook but she was an even better baker! I will never forget the baptism of my first son Michael. We had decided to get the main meal catered but my mother insisted the she and I would bake all of the desserts. One of my neighbours, an Austrian fellow named Karl, was a fabulous baker. Like my friend Miguel, Karl also used his hands to scoop out the flour and sugar. No measuring for him; but pure perfection when done. Karl made a fabulous Black Forest cake so we asked him to bring that. My mother and I baked pies, made a trifle, butter tarts, a beautiful fruit tart, a dessert table fit for royalty. One of the guests was a renown neurosurgeon from Sherbrooke Quebec. He and his wife were so impressed with the baked goods that they asked my mother who had catered the desserts? My mother was very proud to tell them that she, I and the neighbour had made everything ourselves. She was thrilled that someone as prominent as a neurosurgeon and his wife would give her such a rave review. It was definitely one of those shining moments in life.
You can understand now, how I felt when I discovered that all of these carbs were causing my inflammation and that I could no longer eat sugar. I was devastated that my baking days were over. Sure I could still bake for others but I was determined to find ways to bake without the carbs.
One of my acquaintances, Pina, from the Bakes and Cooks Facebook group, posted a coconut flour banana bread a few months ago. I had a counter full of zucchini so I altered the lovely Pina's recipe and turned it in to this delicious loaf you see here. Thank you Pina, you are a pearl.

Coconut Flour Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Coconut Flour Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Recipe

3/4 Cup Coconut Flour
1/3 Cup Whey isolate powder (Optional)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup Cocoa powder
Blend the above ingredients
2 1/2 to 3 Cups Shredded zucchini
6 tablespoons butter, softened
5 large eggs
1/2 Cup sour cream (do not use if omitting the Whey isolate powder)
3/4 Cup sweetener of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Blend all ingredients until smooth and add dry mixture. 
Blend again and pour into greased loaf pan. I always fit a piece of parchment cut to size on the bottom of all my baking pans. This prevents sticking.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Knife should come out clean when inserted in centre.
Approximately 3.5 net carbs for 1/10 of the loaf with the optional whey and sour cream. 
Note: The whey isolate powder gives the bread a more flour like consistency and the sour cream is added for extra fat and liquid to support the added dry ingredient. I have made it both ways and it turns out well either way.

© 2016-2017 Diane Rolfe  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


4 comments: