Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Cauli Fried "Rice"

One of my favourite vegetables is cauliflower. It can be expensive however so we would only eat it when in season.  Since starting this way of eating, however, I have been known to pay a ridiculous price for a lovely head of cauliflower.  This vegetable is so versatile that it can be made into faux pizza crust, faux mashed potatoes and, my personal favourite, faux fried rice. The first time I made this, Andre asked me if I was sure this wasn't rice? Would I be eating it if it were? No!
Just like fried rice, you can use whatever you have in your refrigerator to dice up, sauté and add to the rice. The important thing is to use cold cauliflower that has already been processed into fine rice like pieces, real butter and a good soya sauce. I do not add oyster sauce to my cauli fried rice like I would to real fried rice because it has sugar, nor do I use peas but it is delicious just the same.

Cauli Fried "Rice"

Cauli Fried "Rice"
Recipe
1 Head Cauliflower, pulsed
1/4 Cup onion, minced
1/4 medium red pepper, chopped
3-4 celery stalks, chopped 
2-3 green onions, cut into rings
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons soya sauce
Start by washing and cutting the cauliflower into small pieces. Working in small batches pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles fine grains of rice. Set aside.
Mince and/or chop all of the vegetables into small pieces. 
Melt the butter in a large wok. Add the vegetables (except the cauliflower and also reserve a few green onion rings for garnish) to the melted butter and sauté until fragrant and beginning to soften. 
Add the cauliflower and continue to sauté for another 4-5 minutes. Add the soya sauce and toss until well covered. 
Serve warm with a few rings of green onions for garnish.  
I will sometimes scramble an egg and add to the "rice" like I would for fried rice. 
This makes approximately 8 one cup servings, for approximately 3 net carbs each. 



No comments:

Post a Comment