Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Keto Friendly Pancakes

Keto Friendly Pancakes
But what do you eat for breakfast if you can't eat bread or cereal?

The most difficult meal of the day for people who are just starting a low carb diet seems to be breakfast. People just can't fathom a breakfast without carbs. Cereal, pancakes, toast, donuts and muffins.... How can you possibly eat breakfast without carbs? I asked the same question when I first started this woe (way of eating).
It turns out that it isn't really that difficult. You just have to think outside the box. Eat leftovers, a salad, ham and cheese, whatever turns your crank! 
Scrambled eggs and bacon are usually the first choice but who wants to eat scrambled eggs every day  right? Well there is more than one way to fry an egg folks. My husband makes me an egg pizza on Sunday mornings that is awesome! It is basically an omelette with pizza sauce, sautéed vegetables, pepperoni and cheese on top, finished under the broiler to bubble the cheese. It is unbelievably delicious, plus I don't have to make it. Some mornings I will eat a scrambled egg with freshly shredded parmigiana, a whole avocado and two slices of bacon. Other days I have some delicious smoked salmon with a sliced avocado and a celery stick salted or stuffed with Boursin cheese.
When I need a break from eggs Keto friendly pancakes are a special treat for me. I serve them with a pad of butter and sugar free syrup. The syrups I use are Jordan's Skinny Syrup I found them in one of my local stores but you can order them online also. I ketofied this recipe from Bob's Red Mill
Keto Friendly Pancakes
Keto Friendly Pancakes
Recipe
Dry ingredients
1/4 Cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tablespoon sweetener (I use Splenda or erythritol)
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
Wet ingredients
4 eggs
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons MCT oil (liquid coconut oil would also work)
Beat together wet ingredients.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until well mixed and all lumps are dissolved.
Heat a non stick frying pan or griddle and brush with more MCT oil, liquid coconut oil or butter.
Ladle 1/4 cup batter onto heated and oiled pan and cook until bubbles begin to form. Flip pancake and cook other side. Makes about 8 nice sized pancakes. 
I updated the recipe to 2 tablespoons of oil. I find they are fluffier.
Approximately 2.5 net carbs per 2 pancakes. 


3 comments:

  1. Made for breakfast today with warm mashed blueberries in place of syrup! Excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you enjoyed them. Have a wonderful day!
      Diane

      Delete
  2. I want many of the reviews, Choose truly loved, We would like addiitional info over it, since it is actually fairly superb., Relation simply for saying. keto food

    ReplyDelete