Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2016

About me

I started my Keto journey on September 3, 2015.
I had suffered from the pain, memory loss and depression associated with fibromyalgia for several years. I had put on weight, my brain power was dwindling, I couldn't concentrate (brain fog) and I really just felt like my healthy years were over. Every day was a struggle.
One afternoon my dear friend Pamela, (a nurse) dropped in for a visit and noticed that I was short of breath.  She insisted I call the clinic for an appointment. My family doctor was unavailable but another doctor in the clinic agreed to see me. He sent me for blood work and other tests and encouraged me to get them done immediately which I did. There were several weeks waiting for the electrocardiograph so my friend Pamela encouraged me to go to the emergency department as she felt any doctor seeing an overweight, 58 year old woman with shortness of breath would surely hook me up to the machine right away. The emerg doctor did  just that and also referred me to a cardiologist. When I finally went to see the cardiologist a few weeks later I was given a stress test and an ecogardiogram both which were normal. At this point the doctor told me that I was just overweight and out of shape. When I explained how my pain issues had stopped me from doing any cardio work outs and that I felt like my metabolism was dead, he suggested I go on an extremely low carb, high fat diet to jump start my metabolism
This was a life changing moment For me!
Within two weeks, probably closer to 10 days, I realized that all of my pain was gone! I had forgotten to take my medication that morning. It was mid afternoon when I called my husband excited and in disbelief that I had forgotten my meds but there was no pain! I decided to cut out all meds the next day, the day after, and the day after. I have never needed meds since that day! All the pain was gone, the brain fog, everything!
I got in touch with my friend Ruth, a runner, and asked her if she could teach me how to run. At 58 years old, overweight and short of breath, I started to run. We started slowly but eventually I got to my first goal of 5K. I am now working on 10K. 1 am no longer overweight and I am in better health and physical shape than I have been for 26 years!
I recently celebrated my 59 th birthday but I feel 20 years younger than I did at 58.
The ketogenic diet gave me my life back.
I have been following this way of eating for a year now so I thought I would share some of my favourite recipes with others. They may be low carb but they can be enjoyed by everyone.
I would strongly recommend consulting a medical professional before embarking on any restrictive diet regime.

3 comments:

  1. Just a little update: I am running my second 10K race this Sunday and have started training for a half marathon. Ruth and I along with our friend Manon will be heading to Los Vegas in February. It will be my and Manon's first half marathon. Very exciting indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have sevarl 5 and 10 K races under my belt now as well as two half marathons. In the fall I will participate in The Army run and complete the Commander's Challenge which is a 5K plus a half marathon. Slowly working up to a full marathon next spring.

    ReplyDelete